Tag Archives: Cumberland Island
Plum Orchard-Cumberland Island, Georgia
Cumberland Island, Camden County, Georgia
Built in 1898, this Georgian Revival home was built for George and Margaret Carnegie by George’s mother, Lucy. This grand home, at 22,000 square feet, features an indoor pool, a squash court, and many other features considered cutting edge at the time it was built.
In 1971, the home was donated to the National Park Foundation by the Carnegie family.
Alberty House-Cumberland Island, Georgia
Located on the north end of Cumberland Island is an area where freedmen and women lived after the Civil War. This area, known as The Settlement, contains a few extant buildings.
The Roger Alberty House, built-in 1900, sits next to the First African Baptist Church. The Alberty family was one of the original families who made this area into a community.
High Point Cemetery-Cumberland Island, Georgia
High Point Cemetery is located on the north end of Cumberland Island. Despite it being started in 1825, it serves as a mixed race cemetery where important early families are buried.
Based on other photos, this cemetery is cleaned but on an inconsistent basis.