Category Archives: Churches

St. George’s Episcopal Church-Pungoteague, Virginia

Picture credit: Library of Congress. Taken in 1930.

Built in 1738, the St. George’s Church is the oldest extant church on the Eastern Shore of Virginia. Federal Troops used it as a horse stable and caused great damage. It was rebuilt after the Civil War. Some of the original brickwork is still in place. The church is used sporadically, along with its cemetery.

Notice the checkered pattern. This is an early American example of the Flemish bond. You can read more about it and why the brick appears white in some photos on this website.

It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.

Spann Methodist Church and Cemetery-Ward, South Carolina

Built in 1873, Spann Methodist Church was built to replace a meeting house on the grounds. It is a prime example of a Greek Revival church in a rural setting.

The cemetery began in the 1840s when the original meeting house was constructed. The earliest marker is dated 1842. It served the congregation and became a a burial ground for the citizens of Ward. It includes several Victorian monuments that are also listed on the Smithsonian’s Save Outdoor Sculpture database.

This deer sits outside of the cemetery. Right below the deer, it says Ward and 1857. It was made by the J. W. Fiske Iron Works.
Josephine Ward, 1851-1857
Captain Clinton Ward, 1828-1905
This marker sits outside of the fenced cemetery. I am guessing this honored the Ward family dog. Oddly, the name of the dog isn’t mentioned.
The back of the inscribed tree doesn’t mention the name of the dog.
This marker sits next to the Victorian dog marker.

The Episcopal Church of the Savior-Trenton, South Carolina

The Episcopal Church of Our Savior is one house of worship for The Episcopal Church of the Ridge congregation. The two other churches are the Grace Episcopal Church in Ridge Spring, SC, and Trinity Episcopal Church in Edgefield, SC. The churches rotate church services.

This building is the “newest” of the three churches since it was built in the 1880s. The first church building is no longer standing, but the current sanctuary was consecrated on June 30, 1882, by Bishop William B. W. Howe. The bell tower was added at a later time.