Tag Archives: Baptist Church

Phillippi Primitive Baptist Church-Georgia

Schley County

Founded in 1835, the Phillippi Primitive Baptist Church. The church was the largest church in the Upatoi Associwyion. The church was -in service until 1978 when the last service was held.

Shiloh-Marion Baptist Church-Church Hill, Georgia

Marion County

Shiloh-Marion Baptist Church is the only remaining building representing the small community of Church Hill, Georgia. The community was named because of the five churches in the immediate area.

The congregation began in 1812, and the Greek Revival, a one-room church was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.

Archives at Mercer University revealed that prior to the end of the Civil War, there were Black and white members. It is unknown how the enslaved men and women participated in church services. Since there isn’t a separate gallery, it is likely these men and women listened to services outside the church. It is less likely they held their services, separate from the white church members.

There is a cemetery that I will explore at a later Tim.

Springfield Baptist Church-Greensboro, Georgia

Greene County

Springfield Baptist Church was founded right after the Civil War. Newly freedmen and women were removed from the First Baptist Church, a white church. Conference minutes of the church reveal that for many years there were more enslaved congregants than white parishioners.

Church members purchased two parcels of land, one of them being the railroad depot where they held their first services. In 1907, this brick building was built with the bricks from the recently demolished Methodist church.

You can read more about the church on their website. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987.

Baird’s Baptist Church-Greene County, Georgia

Organized in 1802, Baird’s Baptist Church was once known as Fishing Creek Baptist Church. Records for the first fifty years of the church were lost in a fire so much is not known about those years.

According to church records, there were at least 100 enslaved members of church. Different than other white Southern churches, this church allowed Black members to hold services of their own on the second Sunday of each month after the main service. The church did contain separate galleries for white and Black members.

After the conclusion of the civil war, the church was used by white and Black congregations.

More info can be found here.