Built at a Cost of Eight Thousand Dollars – Fern Crest Dairy, one mile north of Sandersville, is the largest in Georgia. Dr. Wm. Rawlings, the owner, has recently had finished a model barn which will house three hundred cows, each in a seperate stall. The barn is round and is 480 feet in circumference. There are now 175 cows and a large number of calves in the barn. The floor is made of concrete and is kept clean. In the center of the building there is a large silo, cylinder in shape, extending to the roof, which will contain seven hundred tons of green corn. This corn is taken from the fields when the roasting ears are sufficiently matured and is chopped up by machinery and stored in the silo, making the finest kind of forage for cattle. It smells like apple brandy and the cows are very fond of it, preferring it to any kind of feed. Each stall is provided with fresh water which is conveyed through pipes to buckets conveniently arranged for the cows to drink from. Halters are used to keep the cows in their positions, which permit them to lie down or move about without leaving their stalls. When a visitor goes to the dairy the immense circular barn full of animals reminds him of a circus. The dairy is now turning out one hundred pounds of butter daily, besides supplying the demand for milk and cream at Sandersville and Tennille, two modern dairy wagons being in use for this purpose.
Erected in 1855-56 for the Masons inspired by the Parthenon, the Masonic Temple stood near Sandersville courthouse. Built of brick that was handmade by enslaved laborers, it survived Sherman’s troops. It was one of the only remaining buildings in the town. It was lost to fire in 1921.
Public domain photo: Mitchell, E. (1924). History of Washington county. Atlanta, Ga.: Byrd printing co..
The Middle Hill School is located next to the Middle Hill Missionary Baptist Church. The school was started in 1879. Gussie Wright, Geneva Ford, and Rosa Williams were listed as teacher’s in the school. I believe this building would have been built in the 1920s.
Much appreciation to Katherine Helms Cumming for providing history.
Glen Allan, Mississippi is located in the Mississippi Delta region of Washington County. Built in 1830, it was one of the first churches in the area. During the Civil War, the stained glass windows were supposedly removed to assist in the Civil War efforts by using the lead in the windows for bullets.
This began the decline of the church building. Unfortunately, it was hit by a tornado in the early 1900s, and the outer brick walls were destroyed leaving most of what you see today.
This Queen Anne House was designed by architect, Charles Choate, who focused on designing buildings and homes in the South. Charles Madden was a Black railway clerk who worked his way up the ranks and was able to afford and contract a known architect to build his home. Tennille has the railroad that rights through town, and the tracks are a less than a bock from this home. It was put on the National Register of Historic Places in 1999.