The Hiwassee Union Missionary Baptist Church evolved over the years to now serve as the Hiwassee Meeting Hall. Built in 1899 along the banks of the Hiwassee River, the church served the community as a church at first and then as a fraternal lodge and schoolhouse. The porch was enclosed to add more space to the facility. Notice the seams along the sides. Today, the building can be rented for events.
St. Anthony’s School opened in February 1934. The Art-Deco-influenced building was designed by the Reverend Michael McInerney, who, according to the Atlanta Constitution, is an “ecclesiastical and instructional architect of Belmont Abbey.” It cost $40,000 to construct.
It is listed as a contributing property on the Historic West End’s application to the National Register of Historic Places.
This is an 1898 photo of the Georgia Institute of Technology back when it was known as the The Georgia School of Technology. The building on the right is Tech Tower. The building on the left is the second shop building. It was built in 1892-1893 after the original shop building burned. It cost $12,000 to rebuild the second shop building.
This photo was featured in a book co-published by the Chamber of Commerce and City Council.
Reference: Martin, T. H. Atlanta Chamber of Commerce., Atlanta (Ga.). City Council. (1898). Hand book of the city of Atlanta: A comprehensive review of the city’s commercial, industrial and residential conditions. Atlanta, Ga.: The Southern industrial publishing company.
Building began in 1909 for The Crawford School. Town officials allocated $4,500 for the school to be built by Jack Stokley. The school was used from 1911-1955.
Newly added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1922, the Abbeville County Training School was also known as the Branch Street School. The site is overgrown and difficult to photograph because there are storage buildings in front of the school. There are current plans to turn this into housing and a Black History Museum.
Brewster Hall is the oldest classroom on Woodward Academy’s campus in College Park. It was built in three stages from 1940-1952.