The church is in northwest Georgia near the Alabama border. The congregation was founded in 1856.
Now known as the Beech Springs Methodist Church, the congregation was founded in 1878. It got its name because of a nearby spring that was surrounded by beech trees. At the time of the church’s founding, there were no nearby Methodist churches.
The church was built by Elbert Millirons, a founding member of the church, with the assistance of two Black carpenters, Uzell Sherman and Joe Sears. The first pastor was Julian Toole.
The church was expanded in 1916 to add Sunday school classrooms. In 1931, the building was completely remodeled which you can see on Brian Brown’s Vanishing Georgia site.
Photo and information pulled from History of Twiggs County by the Major General John Twiggs Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, Jeffersonville, Georgia.
Built in 1882 as a Carpenter Gothic style church, the building was remodeled in 1898 to become more Victorian Gothic. Based on the designs by Baltimore architect Benjamin B. Owens, the church added several stained glass windows, gabled entrances, and the towers. The brown shingles were also added during this renovation.
It’s a contributing structure to the Onancock Historic District.
Corinth Methodist Church was founded in 1830. The congregation built this church building, their third one, in 1903. The building is now used by a COGIC congregation. It can be rented for special occasions.