Some may know this as the Georgia Power Building because they were the second occupants. This Art Moderne building was built in 1947. It was in use until 1982. Unfortunately, it has been vacant ever since. It’s a critical building that needs to be restored. Architect Adolph Wittman designed the building. There have been various plans for the building, but there have been no movements towards restoration.
Tag Archives: Atlanta
The Georgia School of Technology-Atlanta, Georgia
This is an 1898 photo of the Georgia Institute of Technology back when it was known as the The Georgia School of Technology. The building on the right is Tech Tower. The building on the left is the second shop building. It was built in 1892-1893 after the original shop building burned. It cost $12,000 to rebuild the second shop building.
This photo was featured in a book co-published by the Chamber of Commerce and City Council.
Reference: Martin, T. H. Atlanta Chamber of Commerce., Atlanta (Ga.). City Council. (1898). Hand book of the city of Atlanta: A comprehensive review of the city’s commercial, industrial and residential conditions. Atlanta, Ga.: The Southern industrial publishing company.
Leyden House Columns-Atlanta, Georgia
The Peachtree Circle Apartments are connected to one of the oldest grand homes in Atlanta. Built in 1858, the Leyden House survived the Civil War and at least one fire to finally be demolished by the wrecking ball of development.
The home was located on Peachtree Street in downtown. It’s neighbor was the Governor’s Mansion. In 1913, Asa Candler purchased the land for the development. He had the columns moved for the building of the Woodberry Hall School for Girls, which is now the Peachtree Circle Apartments in Ansley Park.
St. Mark’s AME Church-Atlanta, Georgia
Founded in 1895, St. Mark AME called the stone edifice on James Brawley Drive their second home after they lost their first building to fire in 1948. They took over the space after the Western Heights Baptist Church vacated the building.
The church was built in 1920 using Stone Mountain granite. Designed by architect Charles Hopson, the church was built by fitting the stone together like a puzzle instead of cutting them.
The church received landmark status in 2022.
Butler Street YMCA-Atlanta, Georgia
Designed by the architectural firm Hentz, Reid, and Adler, the Butler Street YMCA was built by prominent Black builder Alexander D. Hamilton, Jr. in 1920. It closed in December 2012.
The 10,000-square-foot building was known as the Black City Hall because of its importance in the Black community. Located on what is now known as Jesse Hill Jr. Drive, the Georgian Revival building holds many of its original features. The building houses 48 dormitory rooms, seven classrooms, a small auditorium, a gymnasium, a swimming pool, shower baths, a café, and restrooms.
Madam CJ Walker’s Museum and WERDSTUDIO-Atlanta, Georgia
Located near the intersection of Auburn Avenue and Hilliard St. NE, the Madam C. J. Walker’s Beauty Shoppe Museum and WERDSTUDIO honor the legacy of the first American self-made millionaire woman, Madam C. J. Walker, and the first Black-owned radio station, WERD.
Walker made her wealth by creating her own haircare and cosmetics line for Black women. There were beauty salons throughout the country that bore her name. Atlanta was one of the locations.
Ricci de Forest, the founder of the museum, is the steward of the space. After he purchased the salon space, he found out that the first Black-owned radio station was above the beauty shop. He married the two spaces together to create a museum celebrating their heritage. If you’re in Atlanta, I highly recommend a visit. Make sure you save time to hear the stories from Ricci.