Tag Archives: Presbyterian Church

Goodwill Parochial School-Mayesville, South Carolina

Goodwill Parochial School was built in 1890 to educate Black schoolchildren in Sumter County, South Carolina. The Presbyterian Church, USA funded it until 1933. It was in use until 1960.

It was put on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997.

Another school funded by the Presbyterian Church was Boggs Academy in Keysville, Georgia.

Salem Black River Presbyterian Church and Cemetery-Sumter County, South Carolina

Founded in 1759, the Salem Black River Presbyterian Church is also known as the Brick Church. The first brick church was built in 1802 and used until 1846. The current building has been in use since 1846. Like many antebellum churches in the South, a second-floor gallery was used where the enslaved people of the local plants who attended the church would also worship. In 1867, the Black church members broke away to form the Goodwill Presbyterian Church.

The white Old Session House was built in 1846 and used for meetings and a library. Author James McBride Dabbs (1896-1970) donated his library to the church. He was a lifelong member of the church.

The cemetery was first used in 1794 and officially deeded to the church in 1830.

The church was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.