Some may know this as the Georgia Power Building because they were the second occupants. This Art Moderne building was built in 1947. It was in use until 1982. Unfortunately, it has been vacant ever since. It’s a critical building that needs to be restored. Architect Adolph Wittman designed the building. There have been various plans for the building, but there have been no movements towards restoration.
Category Archives: Abandoned
Abbeville County Training School-Abbeville, South Carolina
Newly added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1922, the Abbeville County Training School was also known as the Branch Street School. The site is overgrown and difficult to photograph because there are storage buildings in front of the school. There are current plans to turn this into housing and a Black History Museum.
Johnston-Curtright House-Tuskegee, Alabama
Built around 1850 in the heart of Tuskegee for Burr Johnston, a local lawyer and a delegate to the Alabama Constitutional Convention, the home has fallen into significant disrepair. At the time of construction, Johnston held 67 men, women, and children in bondage, so some likely helped build this Greek Revival.
The faded sign in the center indicates that the house was in the process of restoration, but it was never completed. The back side of the house has completely caved in, and the entire house is now open to the elements.
Callaway-Vernon House-Tuskegee, Alabama
The Greek Revival Callaway-Vernon Home was built in 1842. It is a contributing property to other North Main Historic District.
This is a photo from the 1985 National Register of Historic Places application. The home was built by Dr. James Wesley Hunter in 1842. Based on the map from the application, and the yard in the current photo, I am positive this house was moved to make way for a new school.
Sadler House-Tuskegee, Alabama
This home was built in 1895. It is a contributing property to the North Main Historic District.
Judge William Varner House-Tuskegee, Alabama
This Greek Revival cottage was built in 1853. Oddly, the information on this house is remarkably scant. The last homeowner seems to be Judge William Varner. He is the grandson of William Varner, the founder and first owner of Grey Columns.
In 2005, it was placed on Alabama’s Places in Peril.