The church was founded in 1850 along the Old Federal Road in Alabama. The current church building was constructed in the exact, but smaller, likeness of the original church using the materials of the original church in 1951.
Funded in 1906 by Andrew Carnegie for $10,000, the library began construction later that year. Masons banded together to assist in the construction and modeled the building after the library built in Albany.
Booker T. Washington was an educator, speaker, author, and benefactor. He was the first president of Tuskegee University when it was known as Tuskegee Institute. His accomplishments are numerous. From working with Julius Rosenwald to start the fund for Rosenwald schools to traveling the world to speak on issues that impacted the Black community, Washington was a tireless advocate for change. Many members of the Black community supported his belief that the focus should be on education and wealth accumulation. Whereas there were those, who disagreed with him and felt that he bowed to white interests by not pushing forward an agenda based on civil rights and political representation.
“The Oaks” is a large Victorian that sits next to campus. Tuskegee’s students helped build the home that Washington and his family moved into in 1900.
In 1915, Booker T. Washington passed away. It was believed that he died from congestive heart failure and kidney disease that was caused by the stress of his work (later examination of his medical records indicated that he was suffering from very high blood pressure). Over 8,000 people attended his funeral. He is buried in the campus’s cemetery, which is next to the Chapel.
Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church and School were founded in 1916 and 1922, respectively. The school is the only Rosenwald school that is still standing in Macon County, Alabama.
The church and school were one of the locations during the Tuskegee Syphilis Study where participants were told to meet so the United States Public Health Service officials could pick them up for treatment or lack thereof.
The church and school were placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2010. The school went under restoration in 2011.
Built around 1850 in the heart of Tuskegee for Burr Johnston, a local lawyer and a delegate to the Alabama Constitutional Convention, the home has fallen into significant disrepair. At the time of construction, Johnston held 67 men, women, and children in bondage, so some likely helped build this Greek Revival.
The faded sign in the center indicates that the house was in the process of restoration, but it was never completed. The back side of the house has completely caved in, and the entire house is now open to the elements.
Built in 1892 for John Drakeford and his family, this is one of a handful of grand Victorian homes in Tuskegee in a dilapidated condition. Fortunately, the home was purchased, and there are plans to restore it. In partnership with Tuskegee University, this home will be beautiful again.