Located in the community once known as Rico, the “Old” Rico School was built before 1900 and was in use until 1932 when a new school was built just down the road. It was a four-room schoolhouse with a central hallway. It was turned into a single home dwelling that is now abandoned.
The Rico Scout Lodge served the community of Rico as a general store, post office, Masonic lodge, and a place where the local civic club. Built around 1898 by James McMillan, it served as the main gathering place for locals. In 2019, the owner gifted the building to the city of Chattahoochee Hills.
Built around 1879, William Yates built this Italianate in an area formerly known as Rivertown. By 1893, William Yates fell into financial trouble due to a national financial panic. James Jethro Jones eventually purchased the house from the bank in 1894. The home has been expanded twice.
The Friendship Community is now part of the area in Fulton County known as Chattahoochee Hills. It’s not far from Palmetto. Homer Cook started the general store around 1890 and ran it until 1954. Jewell Caldwell, Homer’s sister, took over when her brother passed away. According to a Cook descendant, their family stayed in the area until the boll weevil came to the area.