Designed by the architectural firm Hentz, Reid, and Adler, the Butler Street YMCA was built by prominent Black builder Alexander D. Hamilton, Jr. in 1920. It closed in December 2012.
The 10,000-square-foot building was known as the Black City Hall because of its importance in the Black community. Located on what is now known as Jesse Hill Jr. Drive, the Georgian Revival building holds many of its original features. The building houses 48 dormitory rooms, seven classrooms, a small auditorium, a gymnasium, a swimming pool, shower baths, a café, and restrooms.