Tabernacle Baptist Church was built by Beaufort Baptist Church as a meeting house in the 1840s. In 1863, the church was utilized by Reverend Solomon Peck, who brought 500 Black parishioners to start Tabernacle Baptist Church. The church purchased the land from Beaufort Baptist Church in 1867.
The Gothic Revival church was rebuilt in 1893 after a hurricane destroyed it.
It was the church of Robert Smalls. He is buried in the small graveyard.