New York Monument

Andersonville, Sumter County, Georgia

Andersonville National Cemetery is the only park in the National Park System to serve as a memorial to all American prisoners of war. Andersonville was the location of a Confederate Prisoner of
War Campsite. Over 45,000 Union soldiers were held captive here.

After the Civil War, Union states wanted to honor these POWs at Andersonville, so they commissioned monuments to be made.

The New York Monument was sculpted by Roland Perry and Louis Gudebrod. It was installed in 1911 and dedicated in 1914.

The front reads,

New York. This monument erected by the patriotism, sacrifices, and fortitude of about nine thousand New York soldier of the Union armies in the War of the Rebellion who were confined in the Confederate States Military Prison at Andersonville, Georgia, of whom twenty-two and sixty-one are known to have died in the prison and were buried in this cemetary [sic].

This monument is listed on the Smithsonian Save Outdoor Sculpture database.

Leave a Reply