Built at a Cost of Eight Thousand Dollars – Fern Crest Dairy, one mile north of Sandersville, is the largest in Georgia. Dr. Wm. Rawlings, the owner, has recently had finished a model barn which will house three hundred cows, each in a seperate stall. The barn is round and is 480 feet in circumference. There are now 175 cows and a large number of calves in the barn. The floor is made of concrete and is kept clean. In the center of the building there is a large silo, cylinder in shape, extending to the roof, which will contain seven hundred tons of green corn. This corn is taken from the fields when the roasting ears are sufficiently matured and is chopped up by machinery and stored in the silo, making the finest kind of forage for cattle. It smells like apple brandy and the cows are very fond of it, preferring it to any kind of feed. Each stall is provided with fresh water which is conveyed through pipes to buckets conveniently arranged for the cows to drink from. Halters are used to keep the cows in their positions, which permit them to lie down or move about without leaving their stalls. When a visitor goes to the dairy the immense circular barn full of animals reminds him of a circus. The dairy is now turning out one hundred pounds of butter daily, besides supplying the demand for milk and cream at Sandersville and Tennille, two modern dairy wagons being in use for this purpose.
Erected in 1855-56 for the Masons inspired by the Parthenon, the Masonic Temple stood near Sandersville courthouse. Built of brick that was handmade by enslaved laborers, it survived Sherman’s troops. It was one of the only remaining buildings in the town. It was lost to fire in 1921.
Public domain photo: Mitchell, E. (1924). History of Washington county. Atlanta, Ga.: Byrd printing co..
Located in Sandersville, Georgia, the T. J. Elder High and Industrial School is a Rosenwald School built in 1927 for $18,600. The six-teacher type school was expanded behind the building over the years. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.
Named for Thomas Jefferson Elder, Elder was an important educator who opened his first school in 1889. He and his wife, Lucy Lillian Phinizy, are buried in front of the school.
Founded in 1836 and expanded in 1868, the Old City Cemetery is located in a 4.5 acre plot of land near the town center. The cemetery features several different types of markers that represent the change in marker styles. For a smaller cemetery, it contains several Victorian monuments. I featured many of those here.
It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987.