Tag Archives: Lamar County

Liberty Hill Primitive Baptist Church-Lamar County, Georgia

From the sign on the door, “The last meeting was on September 25, 1987. The final members were Ollie Kinard, Lillian Rivers, and Shirley Ray. The last pastor was Elder Rubert Nobles.” It now serves the congregation of the Church of the Lost and Found.

Union Primitive Baptist Church and Cemetery-Goggans, Georgia

The church was founded in 1837 in what is present day Monroe County. The current church is the second one for the congregation after it was built in 1890. The Goggans family (founders of the town, too) gave the land for the physical establishment of a church and cemetery.

There are a mixture of markers and fieldstones throughout the cemetery.
Rebecca Pitts (1810-1970) and John (1802-1886) Goggans donated the land for the church.
A cairn is one of the interesting burial markers in the cemetery.