Located a few miles north of Ahoskie, North Carolina, the Pleasant Plains School is an atypical Rosenwald School built in 1920. The three classroom school was built more in the tradition of the many rural schools that could found in this area of North Carolina. Many of these schools were built from plans that the state of North Carolina provided to communities in the early 1900s.
The school replaced an earlier school building that was built by the Pleasant Plains Baptist Church, an early congregation for free People of Color to worship that started prior to the Civil War. That school was built in 1866. The school provided education for Black and Native American children of the area until 1950.
It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2016.