Tag Archives: Berkeley County

St. Thomas Church-Cainhoy, South Carolina

Berkeley County

The parish of St. Thomas Church was founded 1706. This structure was built in 1819 after the original building burned. For more info and interior photos, visit the South Carolina Picture Project.

Halfway Creek Church-Shulerville, South Carolina

The site of this church in the middle of the Francis Marion National Forest has served as the home for several congregations since 1828. This structure was built in 1941 for the New Wappetaw Presbyterian Church. Built for rural residents, they maintained the church until 2005, when they transferred ownership to the Bethany Pentecostal Holiness Church.

This is a view of the cemetery from the bottom of the steps. It’s been used by several congregations over the years.