Tag Archives: Alachua County

Liberty Hill Schoolhouse, Gainesville, Florida

Built in 1892, the Liberty Hill Schoolhouse was a one-room schoolhouse that replaced an original schoolhouse built in 1869. It operated until 1952 for the Black schoolchildren of the community of Rutledge. Rutledge, started during Reconstriction, was a planned community by formerly enslaved people.

It was put on the National Register of Historic places in 2003.