Founded in 1895, St. Mark AME called the stone edifice on James Brawley Drive their second home after they lost their first building to fire in 1948. They took over the space after the Western Heights Baptist Church vacated the building.
The church was built in 1920 using Stone Mountain granite. Designed by architect Charles Hopson, the church was built by fitting the stone together like a puzzle instead of cutting them.
The church received landmark status in 2022.