Built in 1936 with WPA funds, the Mauk School was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2008. The school served the small community of Mauk until the 1950s when the consolidation of schools began in earnest.
The school started as a six classroom school until the 1946 when a classroom was converted into a lunchroom. The school fell into disuse after consolidation until the private Mauk Academy was started in response to school desegregation. It was open to white students who no longer wanted to attend public schools.
The school is still in use as a community center and is managed by a local group.