Built on the grounds of Clermont Plantation around 1946, this Classical Revival church is an unusual style for this time period because most churches around time period were much simpler structures.
It was named after Martha Carolina Swinton Taveau, the mother of Augustus Taveau who owned the plantation. Upon her death, the church was used by a Black Methodist congregation. In the 1930s, the land was given to the congregation, who still maintain the property now.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.