Henry John Klutho was a New York City architect who relocated to Jacksonville after the Great Fire of 1901. The home was completed in 1909 and was located on Main Street. The Prairie Style home served as a model home of sorts for Klutho. It was moved to its current location on West 9th Street.
The home was one of the first homes to highlight fire safety. From the Portland Cement to the asbestos shingles, these features helped assuage people’s fears of another fire. It is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The company responsible for the cement created a postcard highlighting the house and its safety features.