Founded in 1867, it is the oldest Black church in Dublin, Georgia. This church building was built in 1917. Many of the stained glass windows feature founding members of the church.
It is also known as the location where Martin Luther King Jr. made his first public speech on April 17, 1944. As a fourteen-year-old teenager attending Booker T. Washington High School in Atlanta, he attended The Colored Elks of Georgia oratory competition. He read an essay titled, “The Negro and the Constitution.”
The church was put on the National Register of Historic Places database in 2019.