Organized in 1802, Baird’s Baptist Church was once known as Fishing Creek Baptist Church. Records for the first fifty years of the church were lost in a fire so much is not known about those years.
According to church records, there were at least 100 enslaved members of church. Different than other white Southern churches, this church allowed Black members to hold services of their own on the second Sunday of each month after the main service. The church did contain separate galleries for white and Black members.
After the conclusion of the civil war, the church was used by white and Black congregations.
More info can be found here.