Prince Frederick’s Chapel is an Episcopal church serving nearby rice plantations. The Gothic Revival church was designed by architect Louis J. Barbot, who designed several buildings in Charleston, and later served as the city’s engineer.
The cornerstone of this church was laid in 1859 after the first church was replaced. With a break caused by the Civil War, the church was not completed until 1876. With the end of slavery, many rice plantations were no longer profitable, so people began to move away, which diminished the congregation’s size. Newspapers reported by the 1930s that the church was only being used for special holiday services. By the 1940s, the church was no longer holding services.
Due to it’s instability, it was determined to take down the three walls of the church and fortify the front facade. It was put on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.