Stephens County, Georgia
Built in 1857, Riverside sits high on a hill overlooking the Tugaloo River in Stephens County, Georgia. The homestead has been in the Prather family since its inception. The Greek Revival structure is part of a larger piece of plantation land that still had several extant structures according to the 1982 National Register of Historic Places application.
According to the NRHP application, the Prathers used enslaved labor to farm their land. According to the 1860 Slave Census, the Prathers enslaved at least fifty people. For the 1850 census in South Carolina, it shows there were at least 45. It is safe to assume that the house was built by enslaved labor.