Williamson Mausoleum-Eastman, Georgia

Dodge County

Orphans Cemetery is located near Eastman in Dodge County, Georgia. It is a small, well-maintained cemetery that features the beautiful Williamson Mausoleum.

Albert Genavie Williamson and his five younger, orphaned brothers moved to Eastman around 1873. Williamson was an entrepreneur who donated the land for the Orphans Christian Church and cemetery.

According to the National Register of Historic Places nomination, A. G. Williamson had this monument built out by the Cordele Consolidated Marble Company after meeting a monument salesman. Made out of of Carrara marble, it was sculpted from a family photograph. It features Mr. Williamson, his wife Martha, and his nephew, Jay Gould Williamson. Interestingly, Jay is buried on St. Simon’s in the Christ Church graveyard.

Outside of the artistic merit of the monument, it’s apparently unusual to find a funerary monument of three people together like this one.

It was put on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997.

Glass Grave House-Whitesburg, Georgia

Carroll County

Grave houses, also known as grave shelters, are a Southern burial practice that likely began in the Appalachian Mountains. Like mortsafes, they served a similar purpose to protect the grave from robbers. It also helped protect the burial site from the elements. Most grave houses have disappeared over the years due to the elements eventually deteriorating the wood.

This is the final resting place of Nannie Lambert Glass, who died in 1899, in Whitesburg City Cemetery.

%d bloggers like this: