Nancy the Elephant Monument

Moultrie, Colquitt County, Georgia

Located in the Pleasant Grove Primitive Baptist Church graveyard is Nancy, the baby elephant. It sits atop the grave of William F. Duggan (1899-1950). Duggan apparently loved elephants and the circus so much that he ran away to join the circus at the age of 12.

His son commissioned a headstone from the Tate Marble Company to grace his grave. It is the only known life sized elephant tombstone in the world.

Leave a Reply